Grove Sponsors Class on Islam in the Fall
An Introduction to Islam and Muslims through History and Scripture
The Informational Islam class presented last spring will be offered again at Grove this fall
- Evening class
- Sundays starting September 17, 2017
- Continues for 10 weeks
- In Z Lounge on the second floor of Grove
- Class is from 6:30 – 8:30 PM
- Come between 6 and 6:30 for coffee and conversation
- To register, call the Office at 610-696-2663 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Islam and the Muslim culture are taught from historical and scriptural perspectives, with a great deal of active discussion.
The course covers the foundations of the religion, including:
- The economic, political and cultural institutions that arose in Muslim societies
- The Golden Age of Muslim civilization and its decline
- Contemporary issues faced by Islam and Muslims will be covered toward the end of the course
- A final unit will be the involvement of the U.S. in the Muslim world and its ramifications
Questions and discussion are encouraged throughout the course.
Iftekhar Hussain is a teacher and scholar who has participated in interfaith initiatives in over 60 churches, synagogues, mosques and local county night schools over the past decade, and who most recently taught this 10-part series on “Introduction to Islam and Muslims” at Grove Methodist Church this past spring. Originally from Bangladesh, Iftekhar has resided in Pennsylvania for almost 30 years.
He serves as Friday prayer service leader at suburban mosques in the Delaware Valley, has been a member of the Board of Directors of the ACLU-PA and on the advisory committee of the American Friends Service Committee, Middle East Peace Building Unit, and is Chairperson of the Council on American Islamic Relations, PA Board of Directors.
In professional life, he works as a consultant in the Pharmaceutical industry, traveling in Asia Pacific and Europe on corporate business process re-engineering assignments.
More information about last spring’s class can be found in an article on the Eastern PA United Methodist Church Website.